Confession: I may have ended my challenge a few hours early for spicy mayo and tempura fried asparagus….more on that later. First, here are my last non-processed eats:
Day 5 of five ingredient week started out with the best breakfast yet: Chocolate Chip Cookie Banana Oatmeal!
I broke up one of the cookies I made Thursday night and sprinkled it over the oats. Not the prettiest picture, but it tasted great! After I ate all the cookie pieces, I sprinkled a few chocolate chips in my oats…it was like warm and mushy chocolate chip banana bread
I also tried a Green Monster Smoothie (inspired by Oh She Glows) although mine actually turned out purple….
Here is what went in my smoothie:
- 1/2 a banana
- 1/2 cup frozen berries
- 1/2 cup milk
- a few avocado slices (to add some healthy fat, vitamin E, and creaminess)
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- big handful of spinach
- a spoonful of vanilla ice cream (I have a raging sweet tooth )
Blend everything together….
First sip was just OK….then I mixed in some cinnamon, and it was WONDERFUL! I probably could have added more liquid — I ended up eating it with a spoon! — but I like my smoothies thick and creamy
For dinner, one of my good friends invited me out of sushi! Sushi would absolutely pass the five ingredient test if you order the nigri (raw fish on rice) or sashimi (just the raw fish). I could have stuck to that to be safe, but they had new roll specials!! So my friend and I shared 2 rolls- our old favorite roll and one new roll. But first we got some edamame:
I love warm shelled edamame…so much fun to eat
Spicy tuna roll with avocado, salmon, and green onions on top. This was one of their new specials. I forgot what they called this roll, but it was amazing!!! Not sure exactly what they put in their spicy tuna, but this one could probably pass the five ingredient rule…
This is the roll we have to get every time we go out for sushi: fresh tuna and avocado layered over a roll with spicy mayo and tempura fried asparagus.
This roll is incredible, but probably does not pass the five ingredient test with the mayo and tempura…however the sushi chefs make all the rolls right at the sushi bar when you order them, and they use really fresh ingredients, so my sushi roll was way less processed than a frozen meal or a fast food meal. But to completely enjoy my sushi roll without guilt, I decided to call the challenge success and end it a few hours early.
The main things I learned from the five ingredient challenge:
- Making your own bread is cheap and easy!! This is something that really intimidated me before…now I’m going to make my own bread all the time!
- I learned to be a more mindful eater: I am bad about grazing on snack food when I’m not really hungry. This week, I was forced to really think about what I was eating before I ate it. No more random handfuls cereal — that has more than five ingredients! If I was truly hungry, it was not hard to find a snack a passed the test (fruits, mixed nuts…), but I could not just grab a bite of the nearest snack food.
- I learned that a feel so much more satisfied eating real food. I guess I knew this before, but I prefer the way fresh and healthy food tastes to processed foods any day. Bowl of oatmeal > Clif bar. The main issue is planning your meals and your schedule so you have time to make a fresh meal instead of relying on convenience foods.
- Pay attention to labels. An “All Natural” claim on a box does not make it fresh and un-processed! I was considering making chicken noodle soup earlier this week, and I looked at the ingredient list for Swanson’s “all natural” chicken broth, and it had a long list of unpronounceable ingredients. Don’t be fooled by marketing ploys — look at the ingredient list!
- Eat healthy = be healthy. I was feeling sooo sick on Monday morning when this challenge started, but I made a complete recovery within 48 hours! It felt like I was getting a flu or something that would last a least a week, so this was pleasantly surprising! I can’t say for sure that this quick recovery was completely due to my diet, but I’m sure it helped at least a little.
Hope you all are having a fun and healthy weekend!
Also, check out this giveaway for free Barney Butter!